sendmail

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jun 2 17:03:04 UTC 2005

ajay wrote:
> ok mr stevens pls. tell me which particular file is responsible for it and
> what where to put entries if username, password and pop mail server.
>
> before i used to use vpop3 , there i know where to put these , here i need
> your help

Again, POP uses the same authentication that a normal login uses.  If
you can log into the machine at a username prompt, you can log in using
POP.  Use the same username and password that you would to access the
machine during a normal login.  If that's unclear, in your POP program,
the "account" is your username, and the password is the same one you use
normally.  If you were to telnet to the POP port, you could test it like
this:

   telnet popserver.yourdomain.tld 110  <<<--POP listens on port 110
   +OK Pop server ready   <<<---pop server sends a greeting
   USER your-username     <<<---You send it your username
   +OK User name accepted, password please <<<--- Server wants password
   PASS your-password     <<<---You enter your password
   +OK Mailbox open, 22 messages   <<<--- AH! The login is accepted!
   QUIT                   <<<---You log out
   +OK Bye now!           <<<---The server says "Bye, bye!"

> thanks
>
> regards
>
> ajay

-        Brain:  The organ with which we think that we think.        -