Large Hard drive

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jun 14 01:33:15 UTC 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 6/11/05, brad.mugleston at comcast.net <brad.mugleston at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>How does one
>>reconfigure the monitor under FC2?
>

> xorgconfig or something like xf86config if you are using Xfree86.
>

>>Is the card bad?
>

> Possibly.

When you say it won't open a window, exactly what do you mean?  Does
the monitor go dark, then reappear with an error message?

Under FC2, the easiest way to reconfigure the X system is to use
"redhat-config-display --reconfigure"

>>Oh, one last thing - I had a 8G hard drive in the machine and
>>installed the 160G - I let the install do what it wanted but the
>>only thing it put on the 8G drive was the /boot stuff, the rest
>>went on the 160.  I'd rather have most of it on the 8G drive if
>>possible.  Other than re-installing everything manually can I
>>just MOVE directories over to the hda1 drive from the hdb1 drive?
>

> No, I do not think so. There are issues with links and things that
> won't survive a simple move command. You might want to search out 'dd'
> commands for transferring a partition from one drive to another. Rick
> has talked about it on this list before but I've never done it.

It can be done, but it's not trivial.  We'd need to see some information
before we could advise you.  You need to post the results of the "df -h"
command.  It would also be helpful if you could tell us how you
configured the drives.  Assuming you're using IDE drives, you could
post the results of the following commands (run as the root user):

	# fdisk -l /dev/hda
	# fdisk -l /dev/hdb
	# fdisk -l /dev/hdc
	# fdisk -l /dev/hdd

Also post the contents of your /etc/fstab file.  When we have that info,
we should be able to help.

>>If so can I have on the hda1 drive the directory of
>>\home\brad\mail and on the hdb1 drive could I have
>>\home\brad\stuff or does \home\brad.... need to be all on one
>>physical drive?
>

> No, the complete contents of /home/brad do not need to be one drive. I
> mount /dev/sda1 as /home/mark/music while /home/mark is /dev/hda3. I
> also mount NFS shares under my home account.
>

>>If I can split the drives how does the move command work to move
>>to a different drive
>

> It's just a move but it will be slower since it's from one physical
> drive to another.

Actually, moving data from one drive to another is faster than keeping
it on the same drive (fewer head seeks).
-    Reality: A crutch for those who can't handle science fiction    -