Upgrade from Redhat 9 to Fedora Core 3 - Search for answers

Leila Lappin damovand at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 14:50:56 UTC 2005

--- Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/14/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 6/14/05, Leila Lappin <damovand at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Wow thank you so much!
> > >
> > > I think I'm going to follow you advice about
> PS/2.  If
> > > I change USB to PS/2 do I still have to get into
> the
> > > setup mode and enable/disable legacy USB?
> >
> > Maybe yes, maybe no. The 'crash' can come at
> multiple places. It may
> > be crashing (hanging) when it's trying to discover
> the USB controller
> > itself, or it may be crashing when it's trying to
> decide what to do
> > with a specific USB decide. I don't know how to
> tell.
>
> I was sleppy! That should ve been 'device', not
> 'decide'!
> >
> > Another trick you might try is to download another
> distro's Live CD.
> > Possibly a copy of Knoppix would boot and tell you
> something about the
> > hardware and what drivers are getting loaded. It
> would also tell you
> > if the hardware in this machine is well supported
> and whether this is
> > an FC3 problem only.
> >
> > Now, when I buy new PCs at the store I take 3 or 4
> boot CDs - Knoppix,
> > Damn Small Linux, Gentoo, etc., and make sure the
> PC will boot on of
> > them. It's a good feeling to know what you're in
> store for when you
> > get home.
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Mark
> > (Signing out for the evening.)
> >

> Let us know how it's going Leila.
>
> Good luck,
> Mark

I am very seriously grateful to all of you,

So far I am only sure of one thing to do.  I am going
to convert the USB connection to a PS/2 type
connection.  That is easy enough for me to do. However
I suspect that will not be the end of the troubles.
Then I have to figure out how to tell the kernel that
it has what it needs.  So, [here come the question],
what do I need to do after physically changing the
connection?  What parameters or options do I need to
change in what files to pass that information to the
kernel?