Upgrade from Redhat 9 to Fedora Core 3 - Search for answers

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 15:29:19 UTC 2005

On 6/15/05, Leila Lappin <damovand at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The mystery deepens,
>
> It turns out I have PS/2 connection for my keyboard
> and mouse.  If the problem is incompatibility between
> kernel options and the device type then it must not in
> the physical device but in the setup parameters.  Any
> ideas? Have I misunderstood something?

Leila,
   Please clearify. Does this mean that you have a keyboard that has a
USB connector at the end of the cable, and you have been plugging it
in up until now to a USB port, but the keyboard is also supplied with
a little USB to PS/2 converter to allow you to plug it into the PS/2
keyboard port, and that after changing to that configuration you are
still seeing the same problem?

   If so then the next question just exactly how far are you getting
during the install boot. I just grabbed an FC3 install disk. I put it
in an older machine and start booing. The installation stuff comes up
and I can choose 5 pages of info using F1-F5. Do you get that far? If
not let us know.

   If you get that far then you look at F2 for options. There aren't
many listed, but the ones that are look reasonable. Try booting with

linux text noprobe

and see what results you have. this should disable ALL hardware
probing and jsut try to boot the kernel. If your basic hardware -
keyboard and VGA - are simple and compliant, then it should boot. (I
hope!)

Good luck,
Mark