Upgrade from Redhat 9 to Fedora Core 3 - Search for answers

Leila Lappin damovand at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 17:32:51 UTC 2005

--- Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/15/05, Leila Lappin <damovand at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Mark,
> >
> > I followed your suggestion and typed "linux text
> > noprobe" at the boot prompt.
> >
> > This time the process went one step further a
> dialogue
> > box opened up with the option to start a CD media
> > check or skip it.  The problem is that the
> keyboard
> > did not work.  So the box stays on that first
> question
> > until it gets faded out.  So now we know for sure
> what
> > the problem is, the boot kernel does not recognize
> any
> > input from the keyboard.
>
> Can you steal a keyboard from another PC for a few
> moments? If it's
> another Linux PC you can usually just unplug it, use
> it, then plug it
> back in, but it's better if you have some old, spare
> keyboard to try
> this with.
>

> > This might be too big a problem for me to solve.
> > would love to upgrade to Fedora but I don't want
> to be
> > a pest (in this mailing list), especially if the
> > problem is such that cannot be fixed without a
> closer
> > look.  Your feed back as to whether I should
> continue
> > or not is much appreciated.
> >

> Nah, don't worry about that. As someone who has
> pestered this and
> other lists for years it's the nature of the beast
> and we'd like to
> see you get running.
>
> What is that specific machine running currently? An
> earlier Fedora
> Core or something else. (Or nothing since it's new.)
>
> cheers,
> Mark

Mark,

Right now my machine is running Redhat 9.  It's stable
and has everything I need.  But I want to upgrade
because I look forward to installing PHP5, which is
object oriented and superior to PHP4.  However, I just
came across a discussion nothing that PHP5 is not part
of the official Fedora core 3 but is planned to be
part of a later Fedora release.  So now with this news
and your warning in mind, that you never got Fedora 3
working, I'm thinking may be I should just wait for a
later Fedora core, may be version 4.

The challenge I’m looking forward to is programming
object oriented with PHP5, I really don’t know how to
tell the install kernel to behave and take note of the
keyboard:^))