How to recover for booting Windows CD and Windows partitions?

Andrew Tsang ccandrew at ust.hk
Wed Jun 15 18:24:10 UTC 2005

Sorry for the confusion. I shouldn't use hda1, hda2, hda3, .. as my own
naming to represent consecutive partition 1, 2, 3, .. as I was thinking
of simplifying the description. The disk actually has more than that &
I'll describe again using Linux device/partition name according to the
partition table listed below:

Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

   Device Boot  Start      End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *       1     2550    20482843+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2        2551     9728    57657285    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5        2551     2567      136521   83  Linux
/dev/hda6        2568     2600      265041   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda7        2601     4972    19053058+  83  Linux
/dev/hda8        4973     7394    19454683+   e  W95 FAT16 (LBA)
/dev/hda9        7395     8560     9365863+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda10       8561     9728     9381928+   7  HPFS/NTFS

/dev/hda1, /dev/hda9, & /dev/hda10 originally contain WinXP (English,
Traditional Chinese, & Simplified Chinese respectively). /dev/hda5,
/dev/hda6, & /dev/hda7 was original a single partition before Linux
installation, and I booted WinXP installation CD to repartition it to
become 3 partitions for /boot, swap, and /. Locations, sizes, and
contents of all other partitions remain unchanged. /dev/hda8 is an empty
partition. After Linux installation, I can still boot WinXP from
/dev/hda1 but the other 2 WinXPs are not bootable although I can verify
from the bootable WinXP of the 1st partition that the contents are still
there. I am also unable to boot the WinXP installation CD which I
previously used for partitioning, although it can be read after WinXP of
the 1st partition is booted and it can also be booted at another PC.

>On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 06:47:33PM +0800, Andrew Tsang wrote:
>> I original have 3 Windows XP (different languages) respectively in
>> partition hda1 (1st partition), hda3, and hda4. Partition hda2 was
>> empty.
>
>So you had primary partitions 1, 3, and 4.  Was all the hard disk
>covered by those three?
>
>> I then repartitioned hda2 to become 3 consecutive partitions &
>> the previous partition hda3 & hda4 became hda5 and hda6 but there was
no
>> change with the actual disk location where the 3 Windows partitions
>> resided.
>
>Ok, now I'm unclear.  Is hda2 an extended partition covering the space
>formerly owned by hda3 and 4, and what else?
>
>What became of the entries for hda3 and hda4?
>
>What else does hda2 cover?
>
>> Then I installed Red Hat Linux with /boot in hda2,
>
>That won't work if hda2 is an extended partition.
>
>> swap in hda3
>> & / in hda4. I used Grub to configure for multiple boot during the
>> installation. After installation (without error), I was able to boot
>> Linux and Windows XP of hda1 (the 1st partition). But when I booted
the
>> Windows XP of either partition hda5 or hda6, booting failed and the
>> following error message was displayed:
>>
>> "The following file is damaged or missing, unable to boot Windows:
>> <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll ...."
>>
>> I tried to recover from the Windows XP installation CD, but I was
unable
>> to boot the CD (booting of the CD works on another PC). When the PC
>> displayed "Hit any key to boot from CD ..", I hit ENTER and it
displayed
>> "Setup is inspecting your hardware configuration", then screen
blanked
>> and the PC hung. I needed to reset the PC and the same process
repeated.
>> Booting of the Linux installation CD is fine. Note that the Windows
XP