cloning a boot partition

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 21:08:07 UTC 2005

On 6/16/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>I've
> just unpacked a little EIDE to USB adapter device that is supposed to
> allow me to attach a raw EDIE drive to the system as a USB drive.
> (We'll see if it works in 20 minutes!) ;-) Anyway, I expect that the
> EIDE drive will be /dev/hda and the USB drive with be /dev/sda. Would
> something like this work?
>
> dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda

Unfortunately it appears that this little USB to EIDE adapter I got
from Newegg doesn't work. (Or the drive is bad which seems unlikely)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812156001

Without this piece of hardware I have no way to attach the new hard
drive to the working machine to do the clone.

Back to the drawing board. I guess I'll have to temporarily put a
CDROM in the new machines so that I can boot them normally. If that
works then maybe I'll do the dd work over the network. Disappointing.

thanks all,
Mark