Partitioning / LVM Advice RHEL4

Waldher, Travis R Travis.R.Waldher at boeing.com
Fri Jun 17 02:20:43 UTC 2005

________________________________

From: Marc M [mailto:linuxr at gmail.com]
Sent: Thu 6/16/2005 2:01 PM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux; For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Partitioning / LVM Advice RHEL4

Hi,

I am setting up a Dell poweredge box with two 70 g hard drives.  The default LVM partition has one / with everything in it, and two volume groups, one for each scsi drive.

Since I havent put the machine in production yet, I am wondering if I should manually reduce the one from 70 to about 40, and save off about 30 GB?  This will be running one application, nothing else to speak of, but I am a bit paranoid about log files filling up partitions and the like, especially on a server running an app like this day in and day out.  I am also paranoid about having one big /

Also I am wondering if mirroring is something I should even consider.  I don't think we need anywhere NEAR 140 gigs.  Maybe I could just make manual copies of certain files and leave them on my 'extra' 30 GB partition.

If anyone has a good general 'rules of thumb' type link or paper please share.

Thanks
Marc

Here's an example of one of my systems:

/dev/vg00/lvol1       2.0G  312M  1.6G  17% /
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1     483M   20M  439M   5% /boot
/dev/vg00/lvol2       496M  8.1M  463M   2% /home
none                 1007M     0 1007M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/vg00/lvol6       2.0G   33M  1.9G   2% /tmp
/dev/vg00/lvol7       6.9G  1.9G  4.8G  28% /usr
/dev/vg00/lvol4       2.0G   87M  1.8G   5% /var
/dev/vg00/lvol5       2.0G   33M  1.9G   2% /var/adm

We ahve only been using 36GB drives, and don't even utilize all of that space.