Help needed Fedora Core 4 install problem, X server does not start

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 20 21:06:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 01:48:54PM -0700, Leila Lappin wrote:

> --- Bob McClure Jr <robertmcclure at earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 01:30:36PM -0700, Leila
> > Lappin wrote:
> > > I installed Fedora Core 4 today.  But several
> > things
> > > failed and one of them may be causing the problem
> > that
> > > X server ( graphical interface) is not coming up.
> > > get a dialog box popping up with this message:
> > >
> > > I cannot start the X server ( your graphical
> > > interface).  It seems that the pointer device
> > (your
> > > mouse) is not set up correctly.  Would you like to
> > > view the X server output to diagnose the problem?
> > >
> > > Now I seem to be in text mode, what do I need to
> > do
> > > next?
> >
> > I've not yet seen FC4, but in FC3, the command to
> > run is
> >
> >   system-config-mouse
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Bob McClure, Jr.
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your help.  I did what you suggested.  A
> dialog box popped up to choose the mouse type.  The
> right one was highlighted so I just pressed pf12 to
> move to the next screen. The dialog box went away.
> Two lines of diagnostics are showing on the console:
>
> Shutting down console mouse services:   ok
> Starting console mouse services:  ok
>
> What should I do now?

Try running X from the command line using

  startx

If the GUI comes up successfully, exit it.  If it doesn't, you may
need to run

  system-config-display

Then, check to see if you are still configured for runlevel 5 (GUI
login) by

  fgrep initdefault /etc/inittab

If it says

  id:3:initdefault:

edit that file and change that line to say

  id:5:initdefault:

Then reboot and the GUI login should come up.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
God is more interested in our availability than our ability.