Help needed Fedora Core 4 install problem, X server does not start

Leila Lappin damovand at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 20 21:18:19 UTC 2005

--- Bob McClure Jr <robertmcclure at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 01:48:54PM -0700, Leila
> Lappin wrote:
> >
> > --- Bob McClure Jr <robertmcclure at earthlink.net>
> > wrote:

> > > things
> problem
> > > that
> up.

> > > (your
> like to
> problem?

> > > do
> > >
> > > I've not yet seen FC4, but in FC3, the command
> > > run is
> > >
> > >   system-config-mouse
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > --
> > > Bob McClure, Jr.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for your help.  I did what you suggested.
> > dialog box popped up to choose the mouse type.
> The
> > right one was highlighted so I just pressed pf12
> > move to the next screen. The dialog box went away.
>
> > Two lines of diagnostics are showing on the
> console:
> >
> > Shutting down console mouse services:   ok
> > Starting console mouse services:  ok
> >
> > What should I do now?
>
> Try running X from the command line using
>
>   startx
>
> If the GUI comes up successfully, exit it.  If it
> doesn't, you may
> need to run
>
>   system-config-display
>
> Then, check to see if you are still configured for
> runlevel 5 (GUI
> login) by
>
>   fgrep initdefault /etc/inittab
>
> If it says
>
>   id:3:initdefault:
>
> edit that file and change that line to say
>
>   id:5:initdefault:
>
> Then reboot and the GUI login should come up.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Bob McClure, Jr.             Bobcat Open Systems,
> Inc.
> robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
> God is more interested in our availability than our
> ability.

While I was waiting for some more clues I did the
following, I ran startx but got the following messages
(do these give any clues what to do?):

(==) Log file: “/var/log/Xorg.0.log”,  Time: Mon Jun
(==) Using config file: “/etc/X11/xorg.conf”

(EE) R128(0):  No DFP detected
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/mouse
	No such fie or directory
(EE) Mouse0: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device “Mouse0”
No core pointer

Fatal server error:
Failed to initialize core devices

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
At http://wiki.X.Org
For help.
Please also check the log file at
“/var/log/Xorg.0.log” for additional information.
X10: fatal 10 error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on
X server “;0.0” after 0 requests (0 known processed)
with 0 events remaining.