uname and 64-bit OS

Is i.86   means 32 bit ( I mean to say if 'uname -m' gives i686 which is generally for xeon processor  is it 32 bit or 64 bit ) somewhere I read that if it shows as i.XX (means i386/i486/i586/i686) means 32 bit

if it shows as i.xx-64 (i686-64) then it is 64 bit ?

if i run  #file /bin/ls     it show me /bin/ls: ELF 32-bit LSB executable,
Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked
                          (uses shared libs), stripped

does it mean my OS is 32 bit and all files are compiled in 32 bit ?

output of uname -m shows i686 in my linux box (machine is a HP-xeon
processor)

I have installed redhatES 3.0 kernel 2.4.21-4 ELsmp.

Can you give ur view please.

Arun Sopanrao Nale
Notice: The information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. Thank you