kernel panic during install - can't find root device

Chris Buxton cbuxton at mac.com
Thu Jun 30 01:00:31 UTC 2005

I'm trying to install FC4 for x86-64. Details:

- two AMD Opteron 244's
- 2GB of RAM
- booting from DVD (/dev/hdc) - I verified the sha1 hash
- hard drive is on the second SATA controller, which under Debian
showed up as /dev/sda

At the boot prompt, I've tried the default setting plus the following
commands:

linux text
linux root=/dev/hdc

With the default setting, it claims it can't mount root device
<NULL>. If I set the root device to /dev/hdc, it complains that it
can't find something like "init" - it's hard to catch, since the
debugging trace information fills the screen shortly thereafter.

Does anyone know what I should enter at the boot prompt?

Thanks in advance,
Chris Buxton