error 2 reading header: cpio: Bad magic

Gibson, Danny danny.gibson at cingular.com
Tue Mar 1 01:24:13 UTC 2005

Howdy Ya,

I just finished a long download of the RedHat 9 iso files from
ftp.redhat.com <ftp://ftp.redhat.com/>  and created my installation disk.  I
also used the MD5 checksum after the download and they verified OK.  The
problem I am encountering is that once the install starts I encounter the
following error and the install craters:

error 2 reading header: cpio: Bad magic

The hardware is as follows:

Pentium III 550MHz

384 MB RAM

Intel i440BX chipset

Primary IDE controller - 20G IDE Hard Drive - No partitions defined

Secondary IDE controller - Toshiba CD-ROM drive

I have tried burning new CD/ROM disk at the slowest speed but incur the same
exact error.

I have Mandrake 8.2 install CD/ROM that will install with no problem on this
same machine.

I am at a lost as to what the issue might be and what to try next in an
attempt to get this installed.

Thanks in advance,

Danny