error 2 reading header: cpio: Bad magic

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 2 18:05:24 UTC 2005

Gibson, Danny wrote:
> Hey Rick,
>
> That was it.  I was using 650MB disks, not 700MB.  Installed great.
> Thanks for the help.

No problem, Danny.

I've posted this info to the list before, but for any newbies to the
list, here's how CDs are written:

CDs are written in a spiral pattern just like an old vinyl record.
It is written in the opposite direction, however.  Unlike a record, the
pattern starts at the center and works out towards the edge.  As you get
towards the edge, the media gets a bit wonky (the coating isn't as
uniform, you have more flutter as the edge has a faster linear motion
than the center, etc.).  Each disk must start with a 20MB "lead in" bit
(like the blank space at the beginning of a record) and a 20MB "lead
out" bit (like the blank space at the center of the record).  There is a
20MB intersession gap between sessions, as well (the blank space between
cuts on a record).

All Red Hat/Fedora images since, oh, 7.1, are pretty full 650MB images.
Since the image is 650MB (and there's a 20MB lead in and 20MB lead out),
you really fill ALL of the media.  650MB media takes into account the
lead in/out bit (it's really capable of 700MB), but as I said, the
very edge of ANY CD is full of land mines.  A 650MB disc MAY work, but I
wouldn't rely on it.  700MB media is actually capable of 750MB.  Just
buy 700MB/80 minute CD-Rs and you'll be fine.  In fact, I threw away
all of my old, unburned 650MB media (well, actually we converted them
into Christmas tree ornaments one year

-   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
-              just very picky of who its friends are!               -