Linux to Linux

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 18:04:50 UTC 2005

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 09:37:06 -0800, Rick Stevens
<rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
> brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> > What am I doing wrong?  I seem to have no problem networking from
> > Windows to Windows or Windows to Linux or Linux to Windows but
> > for some reason I can get my Linux to Linux network talking to
> > each other.
> >
> > I need some instructions - simple if possible.  It seems that
> > people have gone to great lengths to simply describe or simplify
> > the Windows connection (using SAMBA) but when I start looking at
> > Linux to Linux connections it's all in tech talk which is over my
> > head.
> >
> > I will do it command line (as long as its permanent) or using
> > WebMin or something else if needed.  I need to know how to
> > configure things or what ever I need to do.
> >
> > I want to share drives and printers.
> >
> > I'm running RH9.0 on one machine and RH FC2 on the other (this
> > one is also a notebook with a wireless network adapter).  Like I
> > said I can share drives and printers with my windows machines but
> > these two don't want to play nice and share.
>
> As far as sharing files, Linux "speaks" two languages, Samba and NFS
> (network file system).  You already seem to know about Samba, since
> you're sharing files between Linux and Windows (which is the hardest
> bit).
>
> A samba server shares its files by specifying those files in a "[label]"
> stanza in /etc/samba/smb.conf and runs the nmbd and smbd daemons.  I
> assume you know how to set that up.  Conversely, a samba client simply
> mounts shares by use of the "mount -t smbfs" command (or by specifying
> "smbfs" in the /etc/fstab).
>
> Similar stuff is done in NFS.  An NFS server puts the directories it
> wishes to share in the /etc/exports file (see "man exports").  The
> server then runs several daemons: portmapper, rpc.lockd, rpc.statd and
> rpc.nfsd to share those directories out.  Conversely, an NFS client runs
> portmapper and mounts the directories via "mount -t nfs" (or specifying
> "nfs" in the /etc/fstab entry).
>
> If you could be a bit more specific in what you want to do, I can help
> more.

One thing I found was that for my network  I had to turn the iptables
firewall off on then Linux machine that was sharing an NFS mount or
the other machines on the network couldn't mount it. I thiink this was
due to the way NFS sets up ports? I didn't know where to make changes
in the way NFS gets started to make it run on a fixed port so this
worked but I wasn't overly happy with the solution.

Is this easy to do?

Thanks,
Mark