Linux to Linux

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Tue Mar 8 01:07:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Rick Stevens wrote:

> As far as sharing files, Linux "speaks" two languages, Samba and NFS
> (network file system).  You already seem to know about Samba, since
> you're sharing files between Linux and Windows (which is the hardest
> bit).
>
> A samba server shares its files by specifying those files in a "[label]"
> stanza in /etc/samba/smb.conf and runs the nmbd and smbd daemons.  I
> assume you know how to set that up.  Conversely, a samba client simply
> mounts shares by use of the "mount -t smbfs" command (or by specifying
> "smbfs" in the /etc/fstab).
>
> Similar stuff is done in NFS.  An NFS server puts the directories it
> wishes to share in the /etc/exports file (see "man exports").  The
> server then runs several daemons: portmapper, rpc.lockd, rpc.statd and
> rpc.nfsd to share those directories out.  Conversely, an NFS client runs
> portmapper and mounts the directories via "mount -t nfs" (or specifying
> "nfs" in the /etc/fstab entry).
>
> If you could be a bit more specific in what you want to do, I can help
> more.

Thanks, this is a start.  I'll look at the "man exports" printout
and see what I can figure out.

Basically, all I want to do is have access to some directories on
thismachine/home/brad when I'm in other parts of the house and
to be able to use the printer attached to the other Linux box.

As far as security it will all be on the same internal network
(192.168) and I'm not running a firewall as my LinkSys
router/switch has that built in (I hope that's secure - haven't
had any problems that I know about).

Thanks

Brad