A Challenge to Rick: a really weird .forward file.

Waldher, Travis R Travis.R.Waldher at boeing.com
Tue Mar 8 02:12:37 UTC 2005

Here's the deal... I have a .forward file as follows:

"|IFS=' '&&p=/usr/bin/procmail&&test -f $p&&exec $p -Yf-||exit 75
#username"

The catch is, this causes sendmail 8.12 to not work (bounces email back
as undeliverable), but is required by postfix on other systems to let
procmail do it's job.

Meaning, I have to have that line (or some form of it) but on the other
hand, I can't either.  Bad catch 22.

My biggest problem, I have NO idea what that line is doing and neither
does anyone I work with.

Also, can I add an algorithm so that when it's called, can it do nothing
if it's a sendmail based system, and execute that line if it's postfix?

Thanks in advance

Travis