telnet

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Mar 8 17:26:59 UTC 2005

roland brouwers wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have fedora core3 installed on my server
> I try to login with telnet, having installed :
> telnet-server-0.17-30.i386.rpm The service telnet is on in chkconfig
> –list When I login I can enter my login name and password and then he
> returns me Last login : tue …..from 192.1.1.122
> And he stops
> When I wait long anough it gives me the prompt $

I can't speak to that specifically, but the most common cause of that
is a faulty DNS setup.  The machine you're logging into is trying to
reverse-resolve your IP address so it can log where you connected from.
It has to wait for DNS to either resolve or time out, and that can take
up to 136 seconds (65.536 seconds per timeout, 5 seconds between tries,
two retries, see "/usr/include/resolv.h").  Make sure the remote system
accesses its DNS server correctly.  If reverse DNS is not available and
you use a consistent IP address, add it to the /etc/hosts file.

> I tried also krb5 but this gives problems with some kind of
> authentication : Cannot resolve network address for KDC in requested
> realm while getting initial credentials." ?

KRB5 is a totally different authentication system requiring a kerberos
server handing out krb5 "tickets".  Since you don't have a kerberos
server set up, you can't use it.
-                   Never try to outstubborn a cat.                  -