remote control with local display

Ted Potter tpotter at techmarin.com
Thu Mar 10 17:42:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 15:39, Rick Stevens wrote:
> You can also set up X on that machine to include the vncserver module.
> Then, if you vncviewer it, both users see what's going on.  Make sure
> you have the /usr/X11R6/modules/extensions/vnc.so module, then edit
> the /etc/X11/XF86Config and add this line:
>
> 	Load  "vnc"
>
> to the 'Section "Module"' part and add:
>
> 	Option      "passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
>
> to the 'Section "Screen"' part (the path must be to the vnc password
> file of some user).  Samples:
>
> 	Section "Module"
> 	        Load  "dbe"
> 	        Load  "extmod"
> 	        Load  "fbdevhw"
> 	        Load  "glx"
> 	        Load  "record"
> 	        Load  "freetype"
> 	        Load  "type1"
> 	        Load  "dri"
> 	        Load  "vnc" <<<---!
> 	EndSection
> 	-
> 	-
> 	-
> 	Section "Screen"
> 	        Identifier "Screen0"
> 	        Device     "Videocard0"
> 	        Monitor    "Monitor0"
> 	        DefaultDepth     24
> 	        Option      "passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd" <<<---!
> 	        SubSection "Display"
> 	                Depth     24
> 	                Modes    "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768"
> 			 "800x600" "640x480"
> 	        EndSubSection
> 	EndSection
>

> Restart the X server (log out and back in, or give it the old
> "CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE") and the main display will now be accessible via
> both the local screen and vncviewer.  Both are active, too (both local
> and remote can move the cursor, enter data, run programs, etc.)  Note
> that the local display may be just a bit slower on refreshes when a
> remote user is also attached.  It should be pretty normal if no one is
> "vncviewering" the display.

and voila ! it works. My RH9 did not have the vnc.so file so
I got it from:
http://xf4vnc.sourceforge.net/

which also includes a modified XF86Config file. My only misunderstanding
was running the client - use 0 for the display ie

vncclient 192.168.123.5:0

Thank you Rick, as well as to the others who responded. Oh goodie now I
can sit and munch donuts, no more driving around town to fix things.