Redhat-install-list Digest, Vol 13, Issue 13

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Mon Mar 14 02:50:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 10:38:29AM +0800, Tom wrote:
> Examine your booting process and find which step consumes the longest time.

Hi Tom, There is a patch for Outlook that fixes it so that you can
automatically post to this email list in the traditional format:

To fix outlook express:

To fix Outlook:
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/

> On: Sunday, March 13, 2005 7:06 PM Suman wrote:
> > I installed Redhat Linux in my system. There is Windows XP also in the
> > system. CPU is 866 MHz P111 and RAM is 256 MB.
> >
> > The booting takes more than 10 minutes to complete. When i click a program
> > like Writer or Impress, it takes a lot of time to  load.
> >
> > I have 600 MB Swap, 100 MB boot and more than 2 GB of Root.
> >
> > But if i boot into XP, it is very fast and have no problems.

Hi Suman, I have seen this happen when one of the services which is
trying to start up can't get one of the "things" it needs to
fully launch the service.

One of the most notorious for this is ....

	"Sendmail"

When Sendmail can't get a DNS lookup going or find the hostname it
thinks its running on it will take a long time to quit trying and the
entire rest of the system boot process has to wait until it gives up.

It can be any process thats looking for something that isn't there.

Watch the list of services being started up and you see it eventually
"pause" for a long time, (Your ten minutes), on one of them.  Thats
likely the guilty party.

--
"The only system which is truly secure, is one which is switched off
and unplugged, locked in a titanium lined safe, buried in a concrete