Building a new computer(Solved)

Bruce McDonald brucemcdonal at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 14 18:10:05 UTC 2005

Hello Rick

On 27-Sep-04, you wrote:

> Bruce McDonald wrote:

>>> I'm not certain if it will or not.  I'm not using registered memory in
>>> mine and the system seems quite happy.  I'd suggest trying non-
>>> registered, name-brand RAM (Kingston, etc.) first.  If you have
>>> problems, THEN think about the registered stuff.  Why spend money you
>>> don't need to?  Just make sure you can return the regular RAM if it
>>> doesn't work.
>>> - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>>> - VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>>> -                                                                    -
>>> -           Fear is finding a ".vbs" script in your Inbox            -

>> I figure that some of the problems I am having with my windows box (the
>> current one) could be due to memory problems.  I was thinking that maybe
>> registered memory would alleviate those.  Of course, it could be solved
>> with XP.   I don't think I would have worried about it if the machine was
>> only going to run Linux.

>> Maybe I will try it your suggested way and save some money.
>> Thanks for the suggestion.

> First things first, Bruce.  Boot the first CD in the Fedora set and run
> memtest86 to verify that your RAM is good.

> By the way, the Opteron motherboard I have is the Asus K8V-SE, not the
> A8V.

> - grasshopotomaus: A creature that can leap to tremendous heights... -
> -                                                ...once.            -

Sorry, this thread got forgotten in the Christmas rush and extended
traveling.  I wish to add the summation now and close the dangling thread.

The motherboard and cpu are running fine with non-registered memory, so no
problem there.
Thank you all for your input on this, especially Rick (yep, saved some money
on that).

My largest problem ended up being a malfunctioning motherboard, which was
replaced; and I ended up getting a 450W power supply to be sure I had
enough power all around.

I have downloaded Fedora Core 3 64 bit, and need to burn the cds yet.  I am
excited about trying it out, now I just need enough time to do it.

Thank you all again.

Regards,
Bruce McDonald