Redhat-install-list Digest, Vol 13, Issue 13

Bruce McDonald brucemcdonal at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 14 19:12:15 UTC 2005

Hello Suman

On 13-Mar-05, you wrote:

> Hi,

> I installed Redhat Linux in my system. There is Windows XP also in the
> system. CPU is 866 MHz P111 and RAM is 256 MB.

> The booting takes more than 10 minutes to complete. When i click a program
> like Writer or Impress, it takes a lot of time to  load.

> I have 600 MB Swap, 100 MB boot and more than 2 GB of Root.

> But if i boot into XP, it is very fast and have no problems.

> Can anybody comment?

> Suman

It might help if we knew which version of Redhat you installed.

Off the top of my head, I would suggest checking if you have any services
running that you are not using and don't need.  Move services equals more
time booting, plus more memory and processor time used during general use.

Go to System Settings > Server Settings > Services,  this will let you see
what services run at the different run levels.  I would guess that your
system is starting at runlevel 3, so check what services are started there.
 If you know you don't need it, uncheck it (it will not start at the next
boot) and press the stop button (it will be stopped immediatly).  Some
things you can tell you don't need just by the description given, others
you will have to Google to find out if you need them.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,
Bruce McDonald