Sendmail configuration on RH 9

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 15 20:08:55 UTC 2005

It's also considered good form to add a subject line.  I'll add one.

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 12:22:29PM -0000, ajay chaudhary wrote:

> tell me sendmail configuration step by step

You have several choices:

1. Make sure the sendmail-cf RPM is installed and then read
   /usr/share/sendmail-cf/README.

2. Buy the O'Reilly book on Sendmail (the "Bat book", for the animal
   on the cover) and read it "kivver to kivver".

3. Convert to Postfix.  RH even gives you a pretty easy conversion
   path.

I did all three, in that order.  I take that back.  I gave up on 2.

> and which gui utility is used to configure it,

RH doesn't provide one.  Webmin

http://www.webmin.com/

might be a candidate, but you'll need to install it.

> how to start

It may already be running.  Check with

  service sendmail status

If it's not running, start it with

  service sendmail start

and assure it will start automatically at the next boot with

  chkconfig sendmail on

See also The Fine Manuals:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/

> and where it stores necessary .conf files

/etc/mail

> and what does they do.

Can't help you there.

> i there any good short tute about sendmail.

Google is your friend.  Try Googling for "sendmail configuration
tutorial".

> regards
>
> ajay

Also note that RH 9 has been end-of-lifed and is no longer supported.
You really should upgrade to one of the Fedora Core distros.  FC 3 is
the most recent.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Worry is a waste of the imagination.