KVM question

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 17 14:40:34 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 07:24:36AM -0600, Barry S Densch wrote:
> It seems my old Belkin Omni Cube 4-Port KVM switch causes Fedora Core 3 to
> freak out.
>
> After installing Core 3, I switched to another box. When I switched back to
> Fedora the mouse went wacky and now all of my desktop settings are
> completely messed-up.
>
> Q: Can I fix this issue?

I think so.  Can you afford a better KVM than the Belkin?  I've not
been very impressed with their products.

> Q2: How do I restore the default Fedora core 3 desktop settings for gnome?

Caveat Linuxor: This is untried and uncertain:

I think you can (1) log out, (2) either log in as root or Ctrl-Alt-F1
to a text terminal and log in as yourself, or bring up a "safe"
session or KDE, if you have it.  Now this next step is uncertain to
me.  There are several .gnome* directories in your $HOME, to wit:

.gnome
.gnome2
.gnome2_private
.gnome-desktop
.gnome-help-browser
.gnome_private

I'm reluctant to tell you to blow them all away, because you might
lose some stuff you want to keep, though if desperate, you could.  Or
you could start with .gnome and/or .gnome2.  The .gnome*_private
directories have only passwords and such, so I doubt it'd be
worthwhile to delete those.

Sorry.  I'm not a GNOME expert.  I use AfterStep or IceWM.

> I am using an early version Logitech cordless IR mouse. It appears to work
> just fine until I use the KVM.
>
> Thanks,
> -Barry

Cheers,