What's required to make wireless reliable?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 01:00:45 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:24:33 -0600, Otto Haliburton
<ottohaliburton at comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]

Well I figured out that I can do

ifdown eth0
route del eth0
ifup wlan0
route add default gw Netgear

I can switch to wlan0 and it works. Actually I'm sending this from the
laptop using wireless.

However it's sort of strange but the results from iwlist wlan0 scan
are not valid unless I do ifdown wlan0 ifup wlan0. Unless I do that
the value stays the same no matter where I am in the house.

-13db 12" from the router
-36db here at my desk
-50db in my son's room
-63db in my wife's office