What's required to make wireless reliable?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Mar 28 17:18:09 UTC 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:29:27 -0600, Otto Haliburton
> <ottohaliburton at comcast.net> wrote:

That is a bit strange.  I have found that the order in which things are
fed to iwconfig is significant.  It may be that the script sets things
in a manner that causes problems.  The
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-wireless script sets up the
wireless stuff in this order:

	mode
	nickname
	network ID (wireless domain)
	frequency/channel (if mode is Ad-hoc)
	sensitivity
	rate
	WEP key
	RTS/CTS
	frag
	ESSID

>>>-13db 12" from the router
>>>-36db here at my desk
>>>-50db in my son's room
>>>-63db in my wife's office
>>>-63db in the kitchen
>>
>>well, I am surprised that there is that much difference in the values, I
>>would have expected them to be approximately the same because of the
>>relative small distance from the router, but you are getting some type of
>>interference from something in your house.  To me the relative signal
>>strength should be approximately equal since there should be nothing
>>interfering with the signal.  If you were outside then it would be a
>>different situation, cause the signal can ride on electrical wires and other
>>stuff so it would be stronger in certain areas than others.  What would be
>>curious if you left your laptop do the processing you were doing in the room
>>with the router and see if it ever dropped reception.  If you assume that
>>the router is always putting out a signal at the same level then everything
>>that is 15 feet from the router should have the same db level then if you
>>move to 25 feet then those should be the same etc.  in a perfect world, but
>>obviously something is causing a drop depending on where you are in your
>>house, unfortunately you don't have the equipment to locate exactly what it
>>is.  But now that I look at the figures the relative strength in your son,
>>wife's office and kitchen are actually pretty close and your office is
>>obviously closer to the router.  Now that I look at it I don't see a
>>problem, probably something for Rick or a wireless forum to discuss.
>>

> -13db 12" from the router
> -36db here at my desk
> My desk is in the same room as the router but on the other side of the
> bed. Approximately 14 feet east of the router.
>
> -50db in my son's room
> This machine is 14 feet east and 10 feet south of the router. Go
> through 1 wall to get to this machine.
>
> -63db in my wife's office
> This machine is approximately 35 feet south of the router. The signal
> either goes through 3 walls or goes outside through a window and then
> back in through another window to where my wife's desk is.
>
> -73db in the kitchen
> This is 14 feet east and 55 feet south of the router. The signal most
> probably goes through 4 or 5 walls to get here.
>
> Keep in mind that power drop on any signal from a point source drops
> as r-cubed. There is nothing between the 12" measurement and the 14
> foot measurement.

Uh, isn't that "r squared"?  I can't recall my power calculation stuff.
Decibels (dB) is a logarithmic measurement as well, so things may look
a bit weird.
-           "I understand Windows 2000 has a Y2K problem."           -