Cannot exec /usr/bin/procmail

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 30 19:20:22 UTC 2005

Simioni, Rodney wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I’m running RedHat 7.3. I get the message below once every hour and I
> can’t seem to pinpoint where it is coming from. I have diabled sendmail,
> made sure its not listening to the port 25, I also have checked the cron
> jobs to see if anything is firing this up. Does anybody have a clue?
> Thanks in advance.

It's undoubtedly one of the anacron jobs that's trying to send root the
results of one of its jobs.  My guess is that it's the diskcheck
routine (launched via /etc/cron.hourly/diskcheck).  You can stop it by:

1. Commenting out the line in /etc/crontab that runs it, OR
2. Commenting out the "MAILTO" line in /etc/crontab, OR
3. Install the procmail RPM and have root get hourly reports

> sendmail[20633]: j2UI10i20631: SYSERR(root): Cannot exec
> /usr/bin/procmail: No such file or directory

You didn't install the procmail RPM, did you?
- Treat each day as if it's your last...a lot of crying and whining  -
-      usually gets you what you want!              -- Sam Sledge    -