Linux Recommendations B4 jumping in

Scott Mertens smertens at mho.com
Thu Mar 31 13:04:57 UTC 2005

I'm new to Linux, but used Unix many (10)years ago. I want to install
Linux on a new workgroup server in my home. A little background, The home
workgroup has 2 laptops and one desktop. All 3 are WIN XP, and I want to
ghost weekly to a backup drive on the new workgroup File and print server.
I want to make the Linux machine the file and print server. So all it has
to do is host a shared printer, and I will add a 2nd drive most likely
formatted as NTFS so the Laptops / desktop(XP) can ghost to them. Or does
it need to be FAT or FAT 32 so the Linux box can ghost to it as well?

I thought this would give me a chance to play with Linux without getting too
complicated at first. The new machine I just bought is a Gateway 504GR

Inter P4 with Hyperthreading

200 GIG HD

512 MG RAM

7USB and 2Firewire

Double Layer DVD Burner

So I'm looking for some recommendations. As to latest Linux version, if it's
kernel will have any problems compiling on this machine. I'm not real sure,
but my guess is it won't be too hard to share an HP printer on the Linux
workstation and map an XP machine to it? Just looking for some knowledge
imparted form the experts.