R: I need Help RedHat-Windows XP

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon May 2 16:06:09 UTC 2005

Roberto wrote:
> Thank you very much for your reply.
> I've just tried the  commands you told me to use in the last part of you
> reply, but nothing seems to be changed.
> In fact windows xp crashes with a blue screen that say that Session Manager
> Initialization has stopped in un unattended way, and so the system has been
> closed.
> In these conditions I really can do nothing, I am not able to reinstall
> windows without erasing its partition and with that all my important data.
> It's for this reason I asked you for a way to recover and save my Windows
> files from Linux, that is now the only os I can start.

(bloody bouncing mouse buttons)  Sorry about the blank post.

If the Windows partition is in NTFS format, you'll need to install the
NTFS module for Linux to access it.  You can get precompiled versions
at http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/

I believe Windows has a recovery mode you should be able to boot off
the CD.  I think you can do an update from there which should fix
Windows but leave your user files untouched.
-         It is better to have loved and lost.  Cheaper, too!        -