R: R:R:R: I need Help RedHat-Windows XP

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue May 3 21:04:51 UTC 2005

robgenna at tiscali.it wrote:
> With "toch" I meaned a sort of sound I hear from the cd drive!

You need to find out which drive your CD is first.  Check the output
of the "dmesg" command and see if you can spot it.  Alternately, the
normal IDE drive assignments are:

	master drive on primary IDE:	/dev/hda
	slave drive on primary IDE:	/dev/hdb
	master drive on secondary IDE:	/dev/hdc
	slave drive on secondary IDE:	/dev/hdd

Once you know, try this command and see if the CD behaves itself:

	hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc

Replace "/dev/hdc" with the appropriate device name from the above
table.  This disables DMA on that drive (some CDs just don't like DMA).

If that works, you can make the setting permanent by editing the
/boot/grub/grub.conf file.  Find the entry for your kernel and add this
to the end of the "kernel" line:

	nodma=hdc

Do NOT put the "/dev/" bit in and replace "hdc" with the appropriate
device name.  The line should look sort of like:

kernel /vmlinux-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet nodma=hdc

-      A day for firm decisions!!!   Well, then again, maybe not!    -