Any tricks to help me connect at 54MB?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri May 6 16:43:24 UTC 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    To improve our network reliability we upgraded our router to a
> newer LinkSys double antenna device and added a wireless access point
> in the living room instead of using the an internal PCI D-Link card
> that had caused us so much trouble at that remote location. I'm now
> getting much better throughput between the router and the equipment in
> the living room which is great. We set that network up as 802.11g to
> get the performance. The router and the access point are set to
> 802.11g only.
>
>    However, my son's FC2 machine is still using a 802.11g internal
> card and is running with ndiswrapper. (DWL-510G) I cannot get this
> card to connect to the new network. I've changed the ESSID on the new
> network so I changed it on the card. The card sees the network using
> the command 'iwlist wlan0 scanning' and reports back the correct new
> ESSID. The ifcfg-wlan0 file has new IP addresses in it, along with the
> new ESSID. It also has an entry called Bitrate which is set for
> 54Mb/S.

I don't know how reliable the bitrate settings are--especially for an
ndiswrapper driver.  I'd leave that off or set it to "auto".

>    I'd send the config file but the machine's not on the network so
> it's a bit of work.
>
>    Nothing I've tried so far allows this device to connect. I haven't
> tried lowering the network to 802.11b speeds and testing as I need the
> g level throughput.
>
>    Any ideas about how to get this beast going?

Can you run the startup script and then do an "iwconfig wlan0" and
verify that all of the settings got there?
- Real Time, adj.: Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only -
-                        occurs there and then                       -