up2date strategy?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon May 9 17:07:28 UTC 2005

Shane Presley wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering how some of you handle package updates?
>
> Right now I have 5 servers, and I manually review and install updates
> using the RHN website. But so far I haven't had any problems with any
> updates gone bad.

If you have current entitlements to RHN, then sure, that's the way to
go.

> Does anyone just cron the updates to automatically install/apply?

If you wish to.  To run it each day at 3 a.m., edit root's crontab and
add a line such as:

	0 3 * * * /usr/sbin/up2date --install >/dev/null 2>&1

Note that by default, up2date will NOT install kernel updates or
kernel-modules updates.  That can be changed by firing up up2date and
changing its "ignore" list, but can be dangerous.
-                       When in doubt, mumble.                       -