What is a:, b:, c: in Linux (was: ananconda upgrade won't mount partition)

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Thu May 12 19:20:44 UTC 2005

What does the subject line have to do with your query?  Please don't
hijack threads.  It screws up the threading of the messages.  Just
start a new message.  I'll rectify some of it by changing the subject
line.

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 10:05:35PM +0300, Simon Moradi wrote:
> hello friends!
> I have problem that in windows we have"a (flopy) and b(flopy) and C
> (harddisk) ,..." who is it in linux?

a: is (usually) /dev/fd0, b: is /dev/fd1, c: is probably /dev/hda, but
could be /dev/sda.  But none of that answers your next question.

> for example if I want to save a page
> to floppy, how can I do that?

If it's a DOS (Windoze) formatted floppy, you can use the DOS tools
package:

  mcopy <some_file_name> a:

If it has a linux (minix actually) filesystem, you must mount it
first:

  mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy # assumes /mnt/floppy is a directory
  cp <some_file_name> /mnt/floppy
  umount /dev/fd0

> I'd be happy if you help me as soo as possible.
> Simon

You don't mention what version of Linux you're running, but here's a
useful reference:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/getting-started-guide/

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
God is more interested in our availability than our ability.