problem during fedora core 3 installation

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Sat May 14 03:00:19 UTC 2005

aniruddha biswas wrote:

> Dear members
> I encountered the following problem when trying to install fedora core
> 3 in my PC.
> After the keyboard selection menu a series of bugs appeared
> such as
> 1.Assertion(sectors<=63) at disk_dos.c:490 in function probe_partition
> for geom() failed
> 2.Assertion ((c*heads+h)*sectors +s==a) at disk_dos.c:494 in function
> probe_partition for geom() failed
> and some more bugs
>
> I am a new user so I donot have any knowledge of how to sovle this problem
> The configuration of my PC is
> Intel Pentium III (1.13Ghz)
> 256 mb RAM
> 80 Gb Samsung hard drive (SP 0802N)
>
> I have Windows 98 and XP running in my PC
> Previously Red Hat 9.0 used to work fine when I had a 40 Gb hard drive
>
> Kindly try to solve my problem
>
> Yours sincerely
> Aniruddha BIswas

Hello Aniruddha, the bug is caused by a faulty utility called 'parted'
in FC3. Just keep banging away on the 'ENTER' key and the install will
eventually continue. The same bug will pop up again a little later,
Again, just keep banging away on the 'ENTER' key until the install
continues. I had the same problem.

Good luck. FC3 is worth the trouble.

> <http://clients.rediff.com/signature/track_sig.asp>

Kind regards,