ypserv, groups and ndbm

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed May 18 17:45:46 UTC 2005

Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> Ok, we hit a line limitation with NIS, 1024 characters.  This problem
> first surface with netgroups, then recently with groups.  I've been
> searching, discovered this:
>
> http://supportforum.sun.com/network/index.php?t=msg&goto=484&rid=0
>
> Is there any way to increase the hash table size to something more than
> 1024?

Not really.  That's the internals of ndbm.  If you were to recode NIS
to use a different database backend, then you could.

You might be able to get around it by using makedbm with the
"--no-limit-check" option to create the database file first.  I won't
swear to that working, but hey, it's possible.

BTW, this is one of the reasons LDAP was created with the RFC2307
fields.
-      On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say...  oh, somewhere in there.     -