ask about grub-install

Nofriyadi Nurdam nnurdam_rh at yahoo.com
Thu May 26 10:50:34 UTC 2005

Hallo Gurus,

I had Windows XP and RH9 on my computer and used Grub
as Boot Loader. My computer has a partitioned harddisk
of 40 Gbyte. 10 Gbyte is for drive C, 10 Gbyte for
drive D and the rest for Linux RH9. Windows XP was
installed in drive C.
After installing Windows ME in drive D, the Grub does
not work any more and I can not use Windows XP and
RedHat9..
Now I want to use Windows XP, Windows ME and RH9
together and therefore I install grub with
grub-install. With RH9 installation CD, I come to
linux rescue mode and have the prompt
	sh-2.05#
I will type the command: grub-install [OPTION]
install_device
but in the manual, install_device can be a GRUB device
name or a system device filename.
My problem is : I do not know the name of GRUB device
or the filename of system device.
Could someone help me please to tell me what is the
GRUB device name or system device filename. How should
I name the GRUB device or the system device?
I want to know whether the device map file exist. In
manual, the file is called: /boot/grub/device.map
I typed: vi /boot/grub/device.map
but it was empty file.
How could I look at the file?

Thanks in advance for your answer.