RHEL4.0 - modprobe.conf

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri May 27 22:22:50 UTC 2005

Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> Ok... I do an lsmod:
>
> <snip>
> ehci_hcd               31813  0
> e1000                  95316  0
> tg3                    79173  0
> floppy                 58065  0
> <snip>
>
> My network modules show as not being loaded, yet, they are.  I'm using
> them as I type this.  There should be a "1" showing for e1000 and tg3.
>
> I checked my .config file for the kernel:
> #
> # Ethernet (1000 Mbit)
> #
> CONFIG_ACENIC=m
> # CONFIG_ACENIC_OMIT_TIGON_I is not set
> CONFIG_DL2K=m
> CONFIG_E1000=m
> CONFIG_E1000_NAPI=y
> CONFIG_NS83820=m
> # CONFIG_HAMACHI is not set
> # CONFIG_YELLOWFIN is not set
> CONFIG_R8169=m
> CONFIG_R8169_NAPI=y
> CONFIG_SK98LIN=m
> CONFIG_VIA_VELOCITY=m
> CONFIG_TIGON3=m
>
> It says they are being loaded is modules.
>
> Is there something I'm missing?  It's working, so I think I'm "ok".  I'm
> just concerned that the modules aren't listing as loaded.  Even after a
> reboot.

2.6 looks different.  First, check your /etc/modprobe.conf file.  Note
what driver the "alias eth0" line says, then do your "lsmod" again.
Look for the "mii" module.  It should show as being in use (1) and to
the right should be the actual ethernet driver being used.  The module
will be loaded but unused (because it's being managed by mii).
-   You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.    -