Problems with kernel

steve iamstever at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 23:56:24 UTC 2005

It has taken me a long time to figure out that the 2.6.9-22.ELsmp (and
the 2.6.9-22.0.1.ELsmp) kernels have lots of problems. I've reverted
all the servers back to 2.6.9-11.ELsmp and they work fine now. The
unresponsiveness, higher load than usual, and load spiking behavior
have all disappeared.

One problem. The server that I most recently installed RHEL on (the
one that four out of five times would start with the X server taking
up 100% of one of the CPUs) is new and does not have 2.6.9-11.ELsmp
installed anywhere in /boot/.

There seems to be no way to get up2datre to download an older version
of anything. I loath to go down to the datacenter and reinstall from
an older version of the CDs. Really! Is there any other option? Can I
just copy the 2.6.9-11.ELsmp related file from /boot/ of another
server and change the grub.conf file and be OK? Or is there something
else I should be worried about?