Brand new Dell 1425SC

steve iamstever at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 03:23:11 UTC 2005

OK, it did it again. God, what a mess. I just run at runlevel 3 now,
but one would think that a fresh install would actually work. It's
idiotic.

One other thing (here is where I was an idiot): I installed (not
updated) the newer kernel packages hoping that the issue would get
fixed. Nope. Separately, I figured out that the whole kernel
2.6.9-22.x series is a piece of junk. Reverting to 2.6.9.11 on all the
older servers fixed a whole bunch of problems with responsiveness,
higher loads, and load spikes.

But since I installed the rpms for the kernel packages, it deleted the
old ones, and the old files. And since I'm a paying customer, I'm not
allowed access to the older version of the kernel packages.

Again, since I pay, I can't make the server work.

Alternatively: a free version of Linux would be more easily self supported.

I half to wait another day to call and see if they will help.

What has happened to quality control lately?