ndiswrapper problem

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Sun Nov 6 22:53:02 UTC 2005

> On Saturday 05 November 2005 05:39 pm, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
>> I'm trying to get the built-in wireless working on my new HP Pavilion
>> zv6233nr laptop. This is an AMD Athalon based machine, so I'm using
>> FC4-64. Following the instructions on
>> http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Installation ,
>> here's some of the installation...
>>
>> [harold at localhost sbin]$ ./ndiswrapper -l
>> Installed ndis drivers:
>> bcmwl5          driver present, hardware present
>> [harold at localhost sbin]$
>>
>> [root at localhost sbin]# ./depmod -a
>> [root at localhost sbin]#
>>
>> [root at localhost sbin]# ./modprobe ndiswrapper
>> [root at localhost sbin]#
>>
>> Note that depmod did not return an error. The instructions say,
>> regarding modprobe
>>
>>  If you get no error the driver should now be loaded. You can verify
>> this by checking system log produced by dmesg. If the driver is loaded
>> successfully, you should see a message in the system log
>>
>> ndiswrapper version <version> loaded
>>
>> I find nothing in /etc/dmesg, and it appears ndiswrapper was not
>> loaded. So, what am I doing wrong?
>>
>> THANKS!
>>
>> Harold
>
> try this
> cat /var/log/messages
>
> or
> dmesg
>
> but that last one may not see the latest entries in the log. The first one
> will show everything.

Thanks! /var/log/messages had the error. I had loaded the wrong driver
(not 64 bit). That driver, however, DID show the hardware was present.
When I used the 64 bit driver, ndiswrapper showed the driver was there,
but not the hardware. I guess I have to mess with it some more....
Meanwhile, my old D-Link DWL-650 came right up...

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com