Eratic Cursor Behavior

Aubrey Barnard aubreys_key at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 21:47:50 UTC 2005

> > From: "Harold Hallikainen" <harold at hallikainen.com>
> To: "Getting started with Red Hat Linux"
> <redhat-install-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 13:30:44 -0800 (PST)

I have experienced similar problems. The touchpad generates events that I
did not knowingly cause. I have only seen this happen when running
Firefox, and Firefox turns it into a request to go back a page. This
problem is not specific to any location on the touchpad, and it doesn't
just happen when the finger is lifted or applied (which is when mistaken
clicks often happen). What I don't understand is how Firefox interprets
this as a request to go back a page, when a regular single- or
double-click would not result in that behavior. The context menu contains
a command to go back a page, but I don't know how the left-click-based
touchpad would trigger that command.

I am using FC4 on a Dell Inspiron 5000e laptop. It has a Synaptics
touchpad which seems to work just fine for everything else. I would guess
this is a problem with Firefox, but since the laptop is not my main
machine (I set it up for my parents.), I did not pursue it (e.g. bug
report, forum/list submission). My solution was to use a USB mouse, which
my parents preferred anyway. I hope this thread exhibits the critical mass
needed to get this problem investigated.

Perhaps restricting the touchpad to cursor movement only (no clicking
ability) would prevent this problem.

Aubrey Barnard