ndiswrapper problem

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Sat Nov 12 04:16:36 UTC 2005

> On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 12:16 -0800, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
>> THANKS to this list, it looks like I've pretty much got ndiswrapper
>> working with the built in wireless on my new HP Pavilion zv6000 with
>> FC4-64. I can do /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper and get the driver installed
>>
>> I can then run /sbin/wlan0 scan and see networks that are running.
>>
>> I can also run Applications/Internet/kWifiManager and scan for networks.
>>
>> With my old D-Link card, I used Desktop/SystemSettings/Network to enable
>> the card and have it do a dhcp query on startup. The D-Link card was
>> assigned an eth number. The internal card (with ndiswrapper) is getting
>> wlan nunber, which does not show up in Desktop/SystemSettings/Network.
>> So,
>> what do I do to get the internal card to start working on bootup
>> (getting
>> an IP address, etc.)?
>
> Make sure you have
>
> 	alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
>
> in your /etc/modprobe.conf file.  That'll cause ndiswrapper to start
> at boot.
>
>> Also, can the system be configured to use whatever network it finds,
>> including my WEP encrypted network at home or any other non-encrypted
>> network without my having to tell it which to use?
>
> Well, not really.  You can set up a couple of network profiles and
> select one to run at any given time.  For example, you could create one
> that specifies wlan0 using an unencrypted wireless connection and DHCP,
> another one that has wlan0 using WEP-enabled wireless, yet another that
> uses eth0 instead and so on.  You'd activate one of the profiles by
> using "Main Menu => System Tools => Network Device Control" or by using
> the command line:
>
> 	system-config-network-cmd --profile <profilename> --activate
>
> Note that the system ALWAYS brings up the profile in "common" at boot
> time, so put your most commonly used profile in there.  See the help
> menu when you run "Main Menu => System Tools => Network Device Control"
> for more information.
>
> As to getting a new DHCP if the network goes away, take a look at
> netplugd.

It works! The only remaining wlan problem is netplugd. If I try to start
it from desktop/systemsettings/serversettings/services, I get an error.
Looking at /var/log/messages, I find

Nov 11 20:10:55 localhost netplugd[5696]: wlan0: state INNING pid 5697
exited status 0
Nov 11 20:11:03 localhost netplugd[5696]: caught signal 15 - exiting
Nov 11 20:11:03 localhost netplugd[5884]: Could not create netlink socket:
Permission denied

However, if I start it from /sbin/netplugd , it seems to start fine.

Ideas?

THANKS!

Harold

--