ndiswrapper problem

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Nov 14 17:19:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 20:16 -0800, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 12:16 -0800, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> >> THANKS to this list, it looks like I've pretty much got ndiswrapper
> >> working with the built in wireless on my new HP Pavilion zv6000 with
> >> FC4-64. I can do /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper and get the driver installed
> >>
> >> I can then run /sbin/wlan0 scan and see networks that are running.
> >>
> >> I can also run Applications/Internet/kWifiManager and scan for networks.
> >>
> >> With my old D-Link card, I used Desktop/SystemSettings/Network to enable
> >> the card and have it do a dhcp query on startup. The D-Link card was
> >> assigned an eth number. The internal card (with ndiswrapper) is getting
> >> wlan nunber, which does not show up in Desktop/SystemSettings/Network.
> >> So,
> >> what do I do to get the internal card to start working on bootup
> >> (getting
> >> an IP address, etc.)?
> >
> > Make sure you have
> >
> > 	alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
> >
> > in your /etc/modprobe.conf file.  That'll cause ndiswrapper to start
> > at boot.
> >
> >> Also, can the system be configured to use whatever network it finds,
> >> including my WEP encrypted network at home or any other non-encrypted
> >> network without my having to tell it which to use?
> >
> > Well, not really.  You can set up a couple of network profiles and
> > select one to run at any given time.  For example, you could create one
> > that specifies wlan0 using an unencrypted wireless connection and DHCP,
> > another one that has wlan0 using WEP-enabled wireless, yet another that
> > uses eth0 instead and so on.  You'd activate one of the profiles by
> > using "Main Menu => System Tools => Network Device Control" or by using
> > the command line:
> >
> > 	system-config-network-cmd --profile <profilename> --activate
> >
> > Note that the system ALWAYS brings up the profile in "common" at boot
> > time, so put your most commonly used profile in there.  See the help
> > menu when you run "Main Menu => System Tools => Network Device Control"
> > for more information.
> >
> > As to getting a new DHCP if the network goes away, take a look at
> > netplugd.
>
> It works! The only remaining wlan problem is netplugd. If I try to start
> it from desktop/systemsettings/serversettings/services, I get an error.
> Looking at /var/log/messages, I find
>
> Nov 11 20:10:55 localhost netplugd[5696]: wlan0: state INNING pid 5697
> exited status 0
> Nov 11 20:11:03 localhost netplugd[5696]: caught signal 15 - exiting
> Nov 11 20:11:03 localhost netplugd[5884]: Could not create netlink socket:
> Permission denied
>

> However, if I start it from /sbin/netplugd , it seems to start fine.
>
> Ideas?

I'm guessing you're running /sbin/netplugd as the root user.  If you
run it from the GUI, you'd run it as whoever you're logged in as and
netplugd needs to run by root to create the netlink socket it needs.

It's intended to be run via the /etc/rc.d/rcX.d mechanism.  To manually
run it, use (as root), "service netplugd start".  To have it come up at
boot time, try (as root) "chkconfig --level 2345 netplugd on".

-                  Heisenberg _may_ have slept here                  -