boot halts and restarts PC

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Nov 15 17:29:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 16:56 +1300, Grant Allan wrote:
> hi,
>
> after a short break, here is my current status:
>
> i have installed FC4, and seem to have successfully installed grub into
> /dev/hda to dual-boot me into windowsXP or linux.  however, it doesn't
> work without intervention:
>
>   if i insert SystemRecoveryCD and ask it to boot from "disk1", then i get
> to grub, and everything is fine.  i can start either OS.

Boot off the rescue CD of your FC4 set.  Let the system find and mount
your system disk at /mnt/sysimage.

At the shell prompt, enter these commands:

	chroot /mnt/sysimage
	/sbin/grub-install /dev/hda
	exit
	exit

Pop out the CD and see if the system will boot from the hard drive.

-           What is a "free" gift?  Aren't all gifts free?           -