Upgrading to RHEL 4

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Sun Nov 20 04:21:59 UTC 2005

jlopes151 at comcast.net wrote:
> Ok so I have downloaded the *.iso files now what? I don't yet know enough about Linx to use these files. Can anyone help?
>
> James

You will have to burn then to CD. The iso file is an image of the CD
which you need to write track by track to your CD to get a data disk.
Read the instructions with your CD burner software. You can use your
Windows machine to create your CDs using your Windows CD burner software.

When you have done this insert the first CD into your CD drive and
re-boot your machine and read all the release notes etc. before doing
anything else.

Once you have read all the release notes and other stuff you can go
ahead and either install a second HD to hold Linux (best option, a cheap
40Gb will do nicely) or partition your HD to make room for Linux. You
will need at least three partitions, a boot partition, say 500Mb to
allow for more than one kernel (I get away with 102K of which only 11K
are in use by my 1 kernel), a swap partition (at least equal in size to
the amount of RAM you have installed) and a good sized partition to hold
everything else (I have 39,000,000K of which 15,000,000K is used by FC4
full install and all my other files, data etc.) You can create other
partitions to hold various bits of your file system if you like, but the
above three have worked fine for me for several years but mine is
essentially a single user system. If you have more than one user you may
like to put the home dir on a separate partition.

Good luck.

Kind regards,

Graeme.

At the foot of the mountain, thunder:
The image of Providing Nourishment.
Thus the superior man is careful of his words
And temperate in eating and drinking.