Upgrading to RHEL 4

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Nov 21 22:08:01 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 16:22 -0500, Smith, Albert wrote:
> [...]

Really?  Hmmm.  Oh, wait, EL3 is (loosely) based on FC1.  D'oh!  Yeah,
LVM1.

> and with EL4 I tried all the ALT's and no go. I tried in
> text and gui mode and it doesn't give you the ability to drop to a
> shell. Dell/RedHat support confirmed it.

Oh, lovely!  One of the most useful debugging tools they have and they
disable it.  Sheesh!  It appears you're SOL unless you build a custom
anaconda.

Wait a sec...could you create a kickstart disk that had that your
necessary LVM commands as part of the "%pre" section?  That might get
around it.

- If at first you don't succeed, quit. No sense being a damned fool! -