kernel panic (maybe a stupid question)

Mike Markiw III mmarkiw at speakeasy.net
Wed Nov 30 14:56:37 UTC 2005

Matheus,

I've actually run into a very similar problem on a RHEL ES 4 system in the last couple of months.  I'll give a quick rundown of what happened.

1.  I did a clean install of v4 using kernel 2.6.9-5smp and everything ran just fine.  (As an aside, even the non-smp kernel worked ok for me)

2.  I needed to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.9-11 to install a piece of Oracle software.  I tried using up2date, but whenever I rebooted the system I got the error you are describing.  I tried numerous versions, all the way up to 2.6.13, both smp and non-smp and always got the exact same thing.

3.  I tried doing a custom kernel compile, thinking that the SATA drive was causing the problem.  Same problems.

4.  Finally, I broke down and replaced the SATA drive with a regular IDE drive.  I reinstalled RHEL and performed the upgrade via up2date and everything worked fine.

I can't prove it conclusively, but for some reason it seems that my SATA drive (or controller) wasn't playing nice with RHEL.  When I replaced it with a standard IDE it worked fine.  So, my question for you is, are you using a SATA hard drive?

-Mike