RH AS 2.1 SATA disks detection !!!

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Sat Oct 8 21:06:02 UTC 2005

On Sat, October 8, 2005 6:14 am, Marcin P¹czek said:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem, during my RH AS 2.1 installation,
> my server hangs up on SATA disks detection.

If the SATA disks are recognizable by the SATA BIOS, then RH shouldn't
have any trouble detecting them. What type of SATA controller do you have?

> Below is a short overview of my server tech spec.:
> Motherboard : P8SC8
> Chipset     : E7221 SuperMicro
> HDD disks   : SATA on ICH6, HDD model WD1600JS-00MHB0
>
> My server supports 2x SATA HotSwap disks. What I want to achieve is to
> install RH AS 2.1 (2.4.9-e3) onto both of HDD(s) then to configure
> these two disks to work in a RAID mode (only mirroring).

If you wish to mirror the drives, do not install to both. You have to
enter the SATA BIOS and have it control the mirroring. ELSE, have Disk
Druid do it for you. I've only used the SATA controller to mirror (Linux;
done a bunch with HP/UX and AIX). My SATA (sata_sil driver in FC4,
reportedly not supported in earlier kernels) BIOS rebuilds the mirror in
the back-ground. That makes the system drag, but it saves time.

Karl

> Could You please help me with my problem.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> * MP *

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---