multiple install images on single CD

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 11:42:00 UTC 2005

On 10/11/05, Darren Birkett <darren.birkett at gmail.com> wrote:
> I regularly have to install many different versions of RHEL (3, updates 1-6,
> 4 GA and update 1, on many different architectures - ia64, ppc, i386,
> x86_64).  I currently do these installs via nfs, but need to have many
> different CD1s handy for the different version/update/arch combos.  Is it
> possible to create a single CD that would have a menu where I could select
> which one I wanted, meaning I would only need a single CD.
>  If I am doing nfs installs, I would only need the kernel and initrd
> wouldn't I.  Or is it more complicated?  I would be happy if I could have a
> single CD per arch, as I think having multiple arches on a single CD might
> be a little to complicated.

Darren,

I create one small ISO that supports network installs for RHEL3 (x86,
x86_64), RHEL4 (x86_64), FC4 (x86), and contains DSL 1.5 for recovery
or just booting from a live CD. Take a look at
http://rose.public.iastate.edu/MEDUSA/README.txt and if that looks
like what you had in mind I can send you some details about how I
create this ISO. (Note: this ISO only works within our IP space for
network installs using the preconfigured network install targets, but
by adding the appropriate method could work elsewhere).

John