after grub, stripy screen

Grant Allan grant at forum8.co.nz
Sat Oct 22 14:57:02 UTC 2005

hi,

i installed linux CDs using text mode 'anaconda', because i was having
troubles getting the GUI version to display properly.  (first i tried
different resolutions, and "nofb".)  but text mode seemed to install the 4
CDs just fine.  but...

when i get to my grub screen, it displays ok, but then when it goes to
start linux, it tells me it is checking the hardware and then gives me a
stripy screen (red and green vertical stripes, in case you were wondering
;) - and a little while after that, i get a screenful of orange and white
rectangles, various sizes).

what to do?  i expect that i need to install some special display drivers
from nvidia - but until then, is there some way to get grub to start me in
text mode or something.  i guess i would use the "linux rescue" to do
that?

i did try using "linux rescue" to try looking into grub.conf (in case
there were some helpful comments), but no joy.  when i tried to use
"gedit" on grub.conf, it failed to start, citing a display problem.

if editing some file somewhere is part of the solution, is there maybe a
text-based editor in "linux rescue" that i can use instead of gedit?

i'm a bit worried about not being able to shut down gracefully.  when i
get to the an unreadable screen, my only way out would seem to be hardware
reset button (ouch!).

thanks for any insights!
grant